Are you bothered by the wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin that starts to appear on your face? All of these skin conditions happen as a result of reduced oil production in your skin.
However, you can make your skin look younger and healthier without spending lots of money on expensive anti-aging products.
You can do that by restoring the elasticity of your skin and keeping it properly hydrated with the help of carefully selected essential oils. What they will do is replace the oils your skin has lost throughout the years.
These essential oils will make your skin full of life and free of wrinkles. Their antioxidant content will fix the damage caused by free radicals from environmental pollutants and UV rays.
Top 10 Anti-Aging Essential Oils
1. Argan Oil
This oil consists of 80% fatty acids which help fix and prevent free radical damage. Being a great source of vitamin A and E, the Argan oil helps reduce age spots, wrinkles, sagging skin, and fine lines.
Moreover, it hydrates the skin and keeps it moisturized, thus improving its elasticity. It even provides protection against oxidative damage from UV rays.
The Clinical Interventions in Aging published a 2015 study which proved that applying argan oil topically every day provides anti-aging effects. The participants in the study noticed significant improvement in their skin elasticity.
This oil is suitable for all skin types as it’s quickly absorbed by the skin without leaving any oily residue. So, you can use it even if you have sensitive or oily skin.
- Massage your skin with few drops of the oil, after cleansing it well. Do this every night before bedtime
- In addition, you can add one tablespoon of culinary argan oil to your sweet or savory dishes on a daily basis
2. Olive Oil
This one is packed with vitamin A and E, essential fatty acids and minerals which will help your skin fight against free radicals. When applied topically, olive oil stimulates the collagen production. This makes your skin smooth and glowing.
Moreover, you can add one to two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil to your diet to help prevent age-related diseases like osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, peptic ulcer, etc.
According to one study published in 2012 in PLoS One, olive oil contains monounsaturated fatty acids which prevent premature aging of the skin due to prolonged UV or sun exposure.
They do this by reducing the oxidative stress, insulin resistance and similar inflammatory conditions.
- Apply lukewarm olive oil on your skin before taking a bath. Massage for five to ten minutes every day. The oil will improve the blood flow and help your skin retain moisture, thus preventing the appearance of aging signs
3. Coconut Oil
Its ability to increase the production of collagen as well as replace it, makes coconut oil a great essential oil for preventing the appearance of age spots and wrinkles.
Coconut oil provides amazing antioxidant properties which nourish the damaged skin and help fight free radicals. The lauric acid it contains shows antibacterial effects which help treat acne breakouts.
Moreover, you can use it to treat psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin. The journal Dermatitis published a 2004 study which proves coconut oil is as effective moisturizer as mineral oil.
What’s more, this oil can be used as a natural sunscreen to protect your skin against one of the major factors for premature skin aging – sun damage.
- Apply coconut oil on your entire body after taking your regular bath or shower
- Mix it with some granulated sugar to make a mild body scrub. Use it to exfoliate your skin once per week
- As an alternative, you can add two tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil to your daily diet. This will not only prevent age-related diseases, but will also keep you healthy
4. Almond Oil
Another oil that can reduce wrinkles and prevent premature aging. Almond oil contains vitamin E and K which encourage skin regeneration, promote blood circulation and improves skin elasticity.
The Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice published a 2010 study which proved almond oil can soften and rejuvenate the skin, thus improving the skin tone and complexion.
Also, this oil is great for anyone who spends a lot of time out in the sun. This is because it acts as a natural UV blocker.
In 2007, the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology published a study which shows that the oil can prevent and reverse damage caused by UV irradiation.
- After your daily shower, massage your body with sweet almond oil to delay the appearance of aging signs. This oil is safe for those with sensitive skin as it’s mild and hypoallergenic
- Furthermore, you can use almond oil to remove your dark circles and eye wrinkles. Just apply few warm drops under your bottom eyelids right before bedtime
- Alternatively, you can add it to your diet by mixing few tablespoons of it in a cup of warm milk. Make this sweet beverage every day. Also, you can drizzle it on salads or add it to different smoothies
5. Jojoba Oil
This oil is one of the best essential oils for treating and preventing the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines.
It offers great hydrating properties which keep the skin moisturized. Moreover, the high levels of vitamin C and E it contains increase the cell regeneration, thus making your skin full and firm.
Jojoba oil prevents the appearance of scaly or rough patches as well as skin irritation. It’s suitable for all types of skin, even for sensitive skin and that prone to acne, thanks to its non-greasy texture.
What’s more, this oil can even speed up the process of wound healing.
- Massage your skin with a mixture of jojoba oil and almond oil (or any other plan-based massage oil) in equal amounts. Do this every day after taking a shower
- Also, you can add few drops of this oil to your favorite anti-aging mask
6. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is widely used in different cosmetic products, but not only for its pleasant fragrance.
Its abundant amounts of antioxidants help prevent skin damage from UV rays and free radicals. Also, lavender essential oil supports skin rejuvenation and prevents aging signs from appearing.
Furthermore, its potent antifungal and antiseptic properties help treat psoriasis, acne, and other skin conditions.
In addition, this sweet oil helps you fall and stay asleep, and as you know, a good sleep is vital for your health and skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of Aloe Vera with five drops of lavender oil. Massage the solution on your skin, and let it stay for ten minutes. Then, wash it off with cool water. You can do this ritual every other day to make your skin look young once again
- As an alternative, make a lavender tea and use it to wash your face. This will keep your skin fresh and moisturized
7. Avocado Oil
You may know how much avocados are beneficial to your overall health, but did you know the avocado oil is equally beneficial for your skin?
That’s right. This oil prevents aging signs such as wrinkles and fine lines, keeping your skin young for long times. This anti-aging oil is especially good for those with dry skin.
Its vitamin A and E content help treat skin damage caused by aging. What’s more, it supports regeneration of healthy cells, and keeps them healthy.
Avocado oil is abundant in unsaturated fats and protein which prevent the appearance of saggy skin, wrinkles, sun spots, and age spots. Also, it helps improve the skin tone.
- Massage avocado oil on your skin to relieve itchiness and moisturize dry skin areas. It’s ideal for all skin types
8. Pomegranate Seed Oil
The reason why pomegranate seed oil is on this list is mostly because of its unique antioxidant content.
Its antioxidants treat free radical damage caused by environmental factors such as sun exposure which speeds up the skin aging.
The Experimental Dermatology published a study in 2010, saying that products derived from pomegranate have photochemo preventive effects.
Nevertheless, more research is needed to prove the effectiveness of these products in the prevention of photoaging and UVB-mediated damage.
Pomegranate seed oil stimulates the production of collagen, thus improving the skin elasticity. Moreover, it improves the strength of the epidermis (outer layers) and repairs the dermis (deeper layers) of the skin.
In fact, the Journal of Ethnopharmacology published a 2006 study which proves this oil can improve the regeneration of the outer layers of skin. This is crucial for the fight against the signs of aging.
Furthermore, pomegranate seed oil has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and healing properties which improve the skin health. You can use it to moisturize the entire body, including the face.
- Apply cold-pressed pomegranate seed oil with high quality on your skin and massage. Do this once a day
9. Wheat Germ Oil
This oil will keep your skin flawless for years. It is packed with vitamin A and E which fight free radicals that can cause skin damage.
Wheat germ oil supports the natural process of skin regeneration and it’s ideal for treating aging skin, especially if it’s dry.
In 2010, the Pharmacognosy Research published a study which discovered that when combined with Aloe Vera extract, this oil hydrates the skin better when used separately in different formulations.
Therefore, it’s best to mix it with Aloe Vera extract for optimal skin benefits.
- Mix one tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel with few drops of wheat germ oil. Then, massage your skin with the mixture for five minutes. Leave the mixture on your skin for ten minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once a day
- As an alternative, you can mix honey and wheat germ oil in equal amounts. Apply the mixture on the desired skin area and leave it there for 15 minutes. Then, rinse it off. Do this once a day
10. Neem Oil
Last but not least, neem oil provides great anti-aging properties. Its antiviral, antioxidant, analgesic, antifungal, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties make this oil one of the best oils for your overall health.
Thanks to its antioxidant content, neem oil protects the skin from different environmental toxins which speed up the aging process.
Moreover, neem oil can restore skin elasticity and rejuvenate skin cells due to its abundant amounts of vitamin E and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a 2010 study which claims the polyunsaturated fatty acid content in neem oil protects the body against UV damage.
Furthermore, its vitamin E content helps moisturize the skin and reduce age spots, fine lines, and wrinkles. It also helps combat bacteria which cause eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
- Massage your skin with a mixture of 1/3 cup of warm coconut or olive oil and one tablespoon of neem oil for five minutes. Let it act for ten minutes and after that you won’t even need to wash it off. Do this right before bedtime.
Note: Make sure you do a patch test to check if you’re allergic to avocado oil, almond oil, neem oil, wheat germ oil, or pomegranate seed oil if you plan to use them topically.